Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Bad Writing I

At a french fry place: "Try our 15 DIPferent and countless flavors."

Paano naging countless eh 15 nga? Bobo.

* * * * *

"[In] layman's terms" means non-specialized language. It means taking out the jargon and making it easier to understand. Translating it to Tagalog does not make it "layman's term."


* * * * *

When you place "pun not intended" in parentheses, it calls more attention to the pun. Which leads us to believe it was intended in the first place. Unless your point is to call attention to it by pretending not to.


Which is just tacky.

* * * * *

When you say "it's a fact that..." make sure it really is a fact. Opinions and conjecture are not facts, no matter what you say.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha!

"At a french fry place: "Try our 15 DIPferent and countless flavors."

Paano naging countless eh 15 nga? Bobo."


Kinda harsh... but it made my day! Hahaha! Sama ng ugali ko...

missingpoints said...

You should try walking around a mall with me. I do that to signage and ads in general.

Anonymous said...

That would be cool.... baka naman sumakit panga ko kakatawa niyan... hahaha!

I can't forget this poster na I saw at Carriedo months ago. I think it's from a Japanese grocery store ata.... They sell something na "great for fighting anti-cancer" daw! Hello.... Why the hell would I want to buy that!?!? Hehe!

missingpoints said...

Pwedeng may na-miss lang na punctuation: "Great for fighting. Anti-cancer!"

Anonymous said...

Nah... Even my dad saw it... Yellow pa yung poster at blue yung text. Pinicturan ko pa (sarap ipadala sa show ni Jay Leno haha!). San na kaya napadpad yung picture ko nun... hmmnn...

Anonymous said...

haha! sir me idadagdag ako!
SA JEEP: "Sun. & students: No Discounted"
Take Note: naka lettering yan ah..

-D-

missingpoints said...

^ Ay naku, andami kung isasama ko yung mga nasa jeep. Magawa nga minsan.